Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Pinewood Derby

This past Saturday was the Pinewood Derby for Pack 52. After days and days of sanding and more sanding and painting and more painting and stratically placing stickers, Corbin's car was finally complete. His vision had come to life! Do you not love where he placed the round stickers to make him look sponge? Right over the mouth and between the eyes. I had a mental flash of Austin Powers staring at the mole on that guy's face (in Goldmember?) going, "Holey Moley" and "Moley, Moley, Moley, Molllleeey". I'm sorry, it just literally had me rolling on the floor laughing. Corbin said he didn't do it, but um, no one else placed those stickers, so that made me laugh even more. The reason why I find it so dang funny is because you can create your own Mii's for the Wii and everyone of Corbin's players (and there is close to a dozen to choose from) all have a mole right over their mouths. Weird, but I'm giggling hysterically as I type this b/c it is so far in left field that it's hilarious to me that he puts moles on his creations and always right above the mouth. Back to the Derby. Matt and Papa were the judges at the finishline. There were about 12-15 cars racing, so there was a pretty good crowd there. Everyone was really excited to see what their cars could do. I would like to say that events like this bring out a certain competitive spirit, but it's mostly in good fun. Mostly. ;) Everyone wants their kid to do well, ya know? Corbin's car won like 3 heats and got to the quarter-finals. He had a pretty fast little car. He was so sure he would win... until he started racing the other winners of the heats. He just couldn't beat the Super Mario Car. It was just a hair faster (this car was super shiney and it was sanded almost completely flat in the front- meaning crazy aero dynamics, I think). He raced this car probably 4 times and couldn't get past him. :( So Super Mario ended up moving on to the semi-finals (?- I can't remeber the order) leaving a VERY dissappointed Corbin. They were awarding trophies and he just wanted one so bad. I think I wanted it worse for him. So I told him to cheer for Mario and we would get it next year. The race was so exciting, they had a first, second, and third place winner, and then a Grand Champion. Guess who won? Yep, Super Mario did. During a break, Matt found Super Mario's dad and exhanged some small talk. I think Matt was already planning for next year. Bwahahahahaha! **putting fingertips together** We're not competitive or anything in this house. :) In the end everyone got a certificate and a plastic gold medal. Corbin gave the medal to Hunter who was ecstatic to have it. So until next year... Bwahahahahaha! Had to get a picture of Matt and Corbin after the race next to the track... if you can see it.

1 comments:

Frances said...

The mole thing has me laughing so hard!