Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Treasures

I went to my Grandparents house with my mom yesterday to help with the cleaning out process. By being a part of this, I've decided to re-define what my definition of "treasure" is. I love my Grandparents- they were another set of parents for me and to see their pictures around stung me a bit in the chest, but I was still happy to be there. That house contains so much history and love and happy times for me. The things that I was able to take with me have meant more to me that anything.


This statue sat on the top right hand side of my Grandpa's desk my entire life. As a kid, I would stick my pinky in his ears and belly button (I know, ew.), but I always thought this was so cool. Grandpa always said that it was a statue of him and would laugh. I'm thrilled for this treasure. It will sit on the top right hand side of my desk now.


No story behind these. They are about 4 inches tall and they are actually salt and pepper shakers. These reminded me of Night at the Museum (Hunter is famous for quoting this movie) "No gum-gum for the dumb-dumb" Hunter and Corbin both flew at me to get to them when they saw them. They are excited about this treasure.

We lived with Grandma and Grandpa for a couple of years when I was really young and Grandma had these beautiful pillowcases with embroidered flowers on them. I thought I was so special because she let me sleep on something so beautiful. Later on as I got older, I specifically remember her making me do some, but I would never finish them because I thought it was boring. Makes me wish for some do-overs.


This was Grandma's apron. It's faded and soft and well-used. I'm happy that I can have it. Maybe some of her genius in the kitchen will rub off on me some day... I hope.

I miss Grandma and Grandpa so much. I miss the days of Kmart and icees, working in the gardens, cabbage and rice, BLT's (no tomato for me, of course)when the first tomatoes of the season would come in, playing cards, peanuts and coke (even though I hated peanuts, I ate them anyways b/c Grandpa did), bowling on Wednesdays, Driving range on thursdays, picking up leaves with the lawn mower, legos, barbies (and their furniture that Grandma made for us out of popsicle sticks), thundercats, Gilligan's Island, shopping at the PX, eating cherries off the cherry stand at the commissary, grilled cheese sandwiches, eating apples out of salt water as Grandma peeled them, learning new ways to weave hemp (I think Grandma was trying to relate with me at the time), listening to me, Grandpa's laugh, the way Grandma pronounced my name, her cold arms (I always liked to lay my cheek on them because when it was hot, her arms were always cool- even as a young adult I did this)... I KNOW that as long as I live my life the way I should, I will see them again and we will all be a family forever. No doubt in my mind. Their absense is noticed everyday, but my treasures will be a constant reminder of them.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Such a sweet post Jaime! I know you miss them more than words! Those treasures are beautiful!

Unknown said...

Oh... my grandma passed away last christmas, and she had the same kind of aprons. I asked for one, but because I live so far away have yet to actually have any with me. You have so many memories with your grandparents! How sweet. Hopefully once we meet up with all of those who have gone on before - it will seem like no time has passed at all. That day will be so sweet!

Mikelene said...

Hemp weaving, huh? But, seriously, this post made me smile. :)